Release Time Awards
Awards will be given to ladder rank faculty to release them from teaching one quarter to concentrate on research projects. Recipients must be in residence during the fellowship term; while the award releases the recipient from teaching responsibilities, it does not exempt him or her from service and advising responsibilities. Award recipients will be designated IHC Fellows and are required to deliver a public lecture or hold a seminar on a topic related to their research during their tenure as fellows. The award does not provide for release from summer teaching, nor does it provide a salary supplement. It will be calculated as a replacement cost of up to $5,000 for one course, and awarded funds must be expended within twelve months of the announcement of the award. Faculty may receive this award once every five years, and must not teach during the award quarter.
A complete application should include
• a cover sheet (download form)
• a project description (5 pages, double-spaced, see instructions below) and a bibliography (1-2 pages)
• a brief curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum)
• a letter from the applicant’s department/program chair, indicating approval of release time if an award is made
Project Description Guidelines:
The project description should:
• state the objectives, ideas, and methodology of the project
• discuss the project’s significance and originality with reference to current scholarship and/or arts practice
• specify the interdisciplinary scope of the project
• include a timetable and work plan, specifying project activities in the proposed award period
• define the project’s target audience(s) and the form(s) in which the research will eventually be disseminated (e.g. book, article, art exhibit, performance etc)
There are two rounds of competition each year: November 15 and April 15. Applications are due no later than 5:00pm on the deadline date. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, applications are due the first business day following the deadline.
Please complete the online form below. Then send all required application materials as a single PDF to email@example.com. You will receive a confirmation email within one business day.
To view a list of past release time award winners, click here